Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ta-Dah... The Completed DIY Kids Succulent Garden Projects


So a couple weeks ago I put a post up: 

Get Gardening w/ your Kids: DIY Recycled Succulent Projects

where my goal was to encourage parents to get their children playing in the dirt and planting succulents to create a work of art. I found some pretty fun recycling, eco-friendly ideas and also posted the simple steps to accomplish the container gardens. You may want to clink on the link above and check it out if you haven't seen them yet.

If you read up, you know I was making these projects with our co-op 4h club. The kiddos picked their own containers and I provided the soil and succulents. I must say the children did a FABULOUS job.

I snapped a few quick pics of my classes projects that they will hopefully be entering in the Fair this summer. The first pic is my sons old dump truck filled with rocks, dirt and succulents. Didn't he do a great job? It did shift around a little in transit from the church to our house - like the dump truck literally dumped 1/3 off the end...ugh. Nate pretty quickly got it reassembled and here is how it stands.



It is mobile on the wheels - so I need to come up with a creative way to PUT ON THE BRAKES.


Here are most of the others. A few of the kiddos ran off with their finished product before I could snap a frame. {Missing projects: One was in the cutest little cracker tin. Another one was in a galvanized tub / bin with wooden handles and finally there was an adorable one in an enameled bowl.}



The kids had a lot of fun picking the perfect placement of each plant. They took a lot of time selecting which ones they REALLY wanted to make sure they had in their pots. Paying close attention to the textures, colors, if they would hang over the edge or stand tall,  they ended up with a wonderfully finished garden pot. 

Now, they just need to give them some loving care throughout the summer with a few drops of water and some sun. By August they should have pots brimming with fully established succulents.

-Simply Sublime

No comments:

Post a Comment