Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Whiskey Crab Soup Recipe: A Pacific NW Soup to Die For

So, it all began with our first "FORMAL" date at the Cliff House Restaurant in Bellingham, WA, almost 25 years ago. It was the beginning of a BEAUTIFUL thing... a love relationship with a steamy, creamy cup of Whiskey Crab Soup. That kind of soup you crave for weeks after you have just a taste of it.


In the almost 25 years that Dave and I have been together this is the first time I have whipped a batch of this scrumptious soup up. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. Maybe because we can't stop ourselves from gobbling it down as fast as we bring it home, due to the fact that we are the most undignified, fastest,  crab slurper-upper, eaters you have ever seen. 

However, this crab season we have been blessed with an abundance of fresh dungeness crab. So much so, that we even had to freeze some (gasp). The frozen crab would be perfect for soup.

Plus, yesterday my youngest daughter asked if we could have soup in bread bowls soon. That request paired with the fact that I had about 8-10 crabs frozen in my freezer made for the perfect excuse to re-create my husband's and my first-ever real date dinner.


Many people serve soup in small round sourdough loaves. I, however, prefer this deliciously soft and chewy Pugliese. It is so incredibly yummy.

Okay, I know your mouth is watering by now. So... here it is. A slightly modified recipe - and by slightly modified I mean cut in half because you probably don't have a restaurant size stock pot. This makes enough to serve 10-12 people easily.  


You are going to LOVE this soup! Oh, and I topped it with fresh chives.


-Simply Sublime





3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I have been hunting for a recipe for this ever since I tasted that first cup of goodness at The Cliff House. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Bee! Hope you love it as much as we do! Let me know how it turned out and if you would switch anything up.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete