Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Father's Love


Today our family watched the movie Courageous. It is one of the few times recently where we have had all of our children, from our 23 year old down to our 7 year old, in one place, at one time. My husband and I had seen this movie in the theater, but for most this was the first viewing.

If you haven't seen this movie it is most assuredly worth your time. It isn't a Hollywood blockbuster - the value in this film is found in the content. There is a lot of rich material that leaves you spurred on for a stronger stand towards a more purposeful life. 

The first time I watched this movie my mind was spinning on parenting...how are my husband and I doing? How can we improve? As I watched this with my girls present I began to see life through the eyes of a child. It took me back to when I was a little girl. I was reminded of the security I found in my father's arms. The one thing I could absolutely count on in my life was my Dad having my back. To be honest there were SEVERAL times in life where my father and I would battle IT out."It" being anything really - we were both strong-willed. It got rather ugly at times. Yet I ALWAYS knew when it came right down to it...my DAD was my #1 fan. If in the middle of a battle I would have humbled myself and cried out for him...no matter what, he would have dropped everything and come running. He LOVED me. 

My Father passed away a little over a year ago now. I still find myself wanting to ask him a question, tell him what is going on...and have him join me in a crises when I need someone to have my back. His love for me created a deeper need for me to be dependent on something other than myself. I relied on his strength. The great news is THIS...

We ALL have a need to be dependent on something other than ourselves. We were created by a CREATOR to need him. Life stirs us all around through a whirlwind of circumstances from anger to elation, chaos to boredom. Guess what? He is waiting for us to need him. Like the picture of me with my Dad (above) he longs to scoop us up and let us rest on HIM. He is THE loving Father..the 
PERFECT LOVING FATHER.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life! Honor God with everything you own; give him the first and the best. Your barns will burst, your wine vats will brim over. But don't, dear friend, resent God's discipline; don't sulk under his loving correction. It's the child he loves that God corrects; a father's delight is behind all this.Proverbs 3:4-6 

-Simply Sublime





No comments:

Post a Comment