Tuesday, April 9, 2013

American Culture: Sometimes funny isn't funny.




Recently our small group started a new Bible Study series by Kelly Minter. It is part of her Living Room Series on Nehemiah. GREAT study so far. Only in as far as week 2 in the video (which means one week of homework) and I am already getting shaken up a bit. 

Last night as we watched the video Kelly began talking about feeling convicted on what she watched as far as movies and tv shows. Her thinking had been something like, "Yeah, it is inapporopriate, but it is FUNNY!" When all of a sudden it hit her... If Jesus had to die for it, it isn't funny. 

If Jesus had to die for it, it isn't funny AT ALL!


Typically I am pretty good with music choice. In fact my heart has changed SO MUCH on this that listening to secular music doesn't even do much for me at all anymore. Somehow my mind and heart are not satisfied listening to empty words.... I want to fill them to the fullest with great words that help me remember who God is and what God accomplishes. Now, please do not get me wrong. I am not saying there isn't great secular music out there - I am just saying I no longer enjoy very much of it. ( ...and that doesn't make me more religious or spiritual either.)

TV and Movies...well, I am a lot better than I used to be. (Gee, that sounds like me trying to excuse myself, doesn't it?) I am a FAR CRY from what I used to be - but I still have a long ways to go. In fact, being completely honest, I have been struggling recently with a show that I REALLY like - but it has these scenes in it that always involve two people... ya know what I am talking about here. It is a prime time show so nothing bare but the scenes are still quite involved. Nothing I need to be exposing my brain and heart to for sure. 

I am SHOCKED by how many people are promoting shows that are FULL of garbage though. It is like our minds have been so saturated by inapporopriate that unless it is "R" rated or  "Explicit" it's seen as if it is only mild. No harm really, just lightly off. I want to scream UNTRUTH!!!! UNTRUTH!!!!

Every little part we subject our minds and hearts to are stealing from us. They take us bit by bit into a state of complacency. We become numb to the effect this has on our thinking, all the way to our actions.

From the recent 50 Shades book targeted towards women (which isn't funny but many women sure seem to find it worth the read), to the High School / College Movies filled with GROSS-NESS - we need to say...

 ENOUGH is ENOUGH

Let's start wrapping our brain around what God revealed to Kelly. If Jesus had to die for it, it is not funny. There is absolutely NOTHING funny about Jesus on the cross. In fact when I pictured this I had two scenes flash in front of me... one watching a grossly shocking humor scene and laughing out loud... then pops up the Passion of the Christ graphic portrayal of Jesus being whipped and shredded by metal shards. Flesh ripping off of him... every whip and pull representing each person finding humor in a scene representing an act of sin. It sucks the laugh right out of me. Crude, inappropriate, whatever it is... if it represents something Jesus had to die on the cross for. IT IS NOT FUNNY.

There is A LOT to laugh about, there is a lot to find JOY in. There is GOOD. There is GREAT. Let's fix our minds and hearts on that! 



“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes" -Deut. 11:18


-Simply Sublime



No comments:

Post a Comment