Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mason Jar Makeovers

If you have been following my blog for awhile you will remember me sharing about my precious Grandma Toodles and the BIG MOVE. As she down-sized she passed many of her treasures on to me. I like to call them "Toodle's Treasures". (insert my BIG silly grin here) 

One of my very favorites is the vintage glass jars. Oh how I  L.O.V.E. me some MASON JARS! Actually just glass jars in general. I have been collecting glass canisters and jars from my family members for over  two decades now - so as you can imagine I have quite the collection. Today I am going to show you how to use a few of these delightfully charming jars I received from my Gram to make some really cute Christmas decor and handcrafted gifts. 

Mason Jar #1
SNOW GLOBE-aciousness. 

materials needed:


    • Mason Jar 7 Lid
    • small artificial tree
    • hot glue gun
    • fake snow
This was one easy-peasy craft project. You simply hot glue the base of the tree onto the inside of the canning lid - pour a little fake snow into the glass jar. Place glued tree lid on jar and screw the ring on. VOILA - complete & 

SO STINKING CUTE! 

If you look close at the photo above you notice the vintage ring. The age of the zinc ring brings such beautiful vintage hues to this piece. I adore this little treasure. 




I decided this year to keep my decor SIMPLE and focused. So I displayed this little trio together. I love the basic white with a pop of color. 


Mason Jar  #2
Salted Caramel Sauce 

YUM-O


INGREDIENTS

    • 2 cups sugar
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
    • 8 Tablespoons butter
    • 2 teaspoons salt 

DIRECTIONS

In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. If necessary, use a rubber pastry brush dipped in water  to wash down any crystals forming on the side of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 to 6 minutes. Watch closely and have other ingredients measured out & prepared ahead ready to add when needed. 

Remove the sugar from the heat. Very slowly & carefully pour & whisk the heavy cream in. If you poor cream in too quickly it will ruin the consistency of the sauce. The mixture will bubble up like crazy - I wear an oven mitt when I stir because the steam is HOT!!! Once the cream is all stirred in add the butter and salt. Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool. Once cool poor into little mason jars. Top with burlap circles and cinch with a festive ribbon. (*Tip: I used a rubber band to stop the burlap from slipping off when tying the ribbon on - once the ribbon was secure I removed the rubber band.)
This recipe will make approx. 4 cups of sauce. It can be stored in the fridge for about 4 weeks - that is if you can make it last that long! 
Last year I made Christmas gifts of Preserved Lemons & Salted Caramel Sauce in mason jars. With these I added a lil' chalk paint to the front and labeled with chalk. People have been requesting more ever since. This one is a BIG HIT!


Mason Jar  #3

Cocoa Yumm-a-licious

I have seen these little cocoa stations all around pinterest. For the ingredients I decided to create my own version with some of our family fave's. The containers and decor I selected for this little grouping were each chosen selectively as they are truly treasured memories from my childhood. 




Mid-Summer I found this treasure of a ceramic tree at Goodwill. For a few years I had been searching high and low for just the right one that would remind me of my nap time at my babysitters when I was a wee one. In each bedroom we would turn on the little tree's as we fell into a deep slumber...ahhh. I remember the wonder and awe when the little switch would click and the lights began to twinkle, creating a colorful glow on the wall. 

Next is the plate - Homer Laughlin made this little lovely. My Grandma on my Dad's side would pull these plates out for our Christmas dessert. This isn't the physical plate - hers are long since gone. Fortunately I found a box of these at a flea market a few years back and they were a STEAL! A box full of dessert plates, picnic plates, saucers, cups, cake plate, cake / pie server for $7 total. YOWZA~  Now add the vintage Santa Candle that I have been so eager to place every Christmas season since I was probably in diapers. ...and finally... the moment we have all been anticipating...

THE JARS!

Filled to the brim with yummy goodness. 
Cocoa Jambo is THE MOST delicious cocoa ever! PURE Ghana Cocoa - oh so delicious. Once you try this you will not go back. What makes this a LOVE LANGUAGE for me is the fact it is from Africa. It helps the less fortunate to provide for their families. What a beautiful partnership. I placed the cocoa in one of my Grandma's green glass jars with a zinc lid. Then candy canes for stir sticks in another jar the same size. 

The yummy mini marshmallows always have a home (as do many other small items in my pantry) in the short clear glass mason jar with zinc lid. I love seeing these jars lined up with fun little fixin's in them.




We have had several occasions already to enjoy the cocoa spread. I have to say the fact I have this combination of LOVES in one charming little decor bundle leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy. My Grandma Toodles calls me "The Nostalgic One" - I am realizing more and more everyday just how true this is. 

The proof is in the Cocoa! :) 

-Simply Sublime!

John 15:13 NIV 
Greater Love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment