Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Family Christmas Countdown Party Series {2}: The Santa Claus Movie Theme Night


This week's theme was picked by my dear Husband. There are a couple actors out there that make him laugh pretty much non-stop - those being Tim Allen and Will Farrell. He laughs so much at their goofy humor, which in turn leaves me cracking up at his cracking up. Good times!

Seeing as how we had already watched Elf the week before he felt the next best watch would be Disney's The Santa Claus starring Tim Allen. I wasn't super-duper inspired with creativity for this one plus we had a packed-out week leaving little preparation time. So here came Friday, our movie night was ON and I needed a plan, STAT! 

I stopped at Target and picked up a few goodies to encourage some creative fun with the kiddos. This night was going to consist of simple fun. All I needed was...

  • strawberries
  • bananas
  • can of real whipping cream
  • Wilton Candy Eyeballs
  • Christmas colored Hershey Kisses
  • marshmallows
  • (and brownies - I made from scratch but could use a store bought)
Once I got home I whipped up a big pan of brownies  - if you can call them that. This new recipe I was trying (and doubling I might add) turned out more like brownie slop. Flat and VERY gooey - but it had amazing flavor. I think because the recipe claimed to be light on flour it had the perfect combination of ingredients to create such divine slop...haha. So what do you do with a big 'ole pan of brownie fail? Plop it on plates and make it the perfect base for the kids creative juices to start building with. 

I wish I would have taken a couple quick pics of the set up for this - I simply took a bunch of clear glass bowls and filled them with the items I purchased.  So Simple. So FUN!

The kids had a smashing good time. Aren't their creations Oh.So.CUTE?? 



I also had made up a bunch of the cutsie Strawberry Santa's that have been all over pinterest. 


Here are some added ideas if you want to pump it up a notch:

Smashed Peas and Carrots has an adorable kids Santa Disguise photo prop project. Hop on over and check it out. How adorable would it be to snap some fun family photos? Too cute!


It would also be a great opportunity to write a letter to Santa. Here is a link to a cute free printable.


As you can see it really doesn't take a lot to pull of a family fun movie night. This one was so very simple and just as much fun as our Elf Theme Night. The kids have been filled with anticipation wondering what the next movie theme night is going to feature. Only time will tell...cuz I sure am not going to. 

-Simply Sublime




No comments:

Post a Comment